What’s in Season? Produce That Peaks at the End of Summer
August 6, 2021
With summer coming to a close, you might think that farmers’ market season is over. To the contrary, the late-summer/early-fall months promise a bounty all their own! Here are a few fruits and veggies that are currently in season (and how to use them).
- Tomatoes. Tomatoes are really in their prime at the moment! Pluck some juicy tomatoes from a table at the farmers’ market and add them to BLTs or toss them on top of a salad.
- Sweet corn. Sweet corn is also having a moment, and you won’t want to miss it. You can’t go wrong with classic corn-on-the-cob, but you might also want to try making a hearty salad with corn, red onion, tomato, and a simple dressing of olive oil, salt, and pepper. It’s always a great late-summer side.
- Peppers. Craving juicy, vitamin C-rich peppers? You’re in luck. They’re still in season, and they’re perfect for scrambling into eggs or dipping right into hummus as a mid-afternoon snack.
- Blackberries. Chock full of antioxidants, let blackberries star in all of your late-summer breakfasts. Toss them on top of oatmeal or Greek yogurt for a light meal with a punch of natural sweetness.
- Melons. It’s still watermelon season! And honeydew and cantaloupe season. Snack on these summery fruits solo or add some vanilla yogurt for a decadent treat on a warm early-fall afternoon.
The 8 Best Produce Picks for Late Summer [US News Health]
14 Fruits and Veggies That Outshine the Rest in August [Real Simple]
Eating Seasonally in Late Summer [Kitchen of Youth]